Village
History Society


About the
History Scoiety
Hurley History Society
The Hurley History Society was formally formed in October 2019. Before that, Hurley’s history had been researched and shared by individuals over many years through books, pamphlets and occasional exhibitions, including work by Rev. F.T Wethered, Mary Howarth, Peter Fieldhouse, David Burfitt, and Phil Mullins.
How it began
Interest in Hurley’s history grew significantly after Phil Mullins discovered that Hurley was the secret headquarters of the American OSS (the forerunner of the CIA) during the latter part of the Second World War. This led to Phil’s book Station Victor, and in June 2019 a major exhibition was held at The Olde Bell, alongside the unveiling of a blue plaque on the Manor House gateway, the former Station Victor headquarters. Following the exhibition, the team behind it decided the time was right to form an official society.
Key projects and research
One of the Society’s first major projects was a survey of the Old Priory footings, in partnership with the University of Reading, using ground-penetrating radar. Society members and university staff carried out the work, and a report has since been published.
Other recent projects include:
-
Bringing together Mary Howarth’s historical pamphlets into a single bound volume, which remains available to purchase
-
Producing copies of the large 1609 parish map (approximately 4 feet square), now displayed in the Village Hall and St Mary the Virgin Church
Talks, walks and local visits
Since 2020, the Society has aimed to widen the scope of interest for members by hosting winter evening talks on local topics and arranging monthly summer visits and walks. These have included guided walks around Hurley and visits focused on local places of interest such as the lock, weirs and boatyard.
Membership
New members are always welcome.
Annual subscription: £10